DevOps / Python engineer
Gridium is looking for an engineer with interest and experience in DevOps to help us build the next generation of energy and operations software tools for buildings.
Buildings are responsible for 40% of the world’s energy footprint, and a typical building contains thousands of pieces of equipment, sensors, and interconnections. Gridium makes software that helps people run their buildings better, at lower cost and with less energy.
We’re looking for a US-based engineer to design, develop, and scale our backend services. At Gridium we manage quite a bit of data, pouring in daily from hundreds of thousands of electric and gas meters. We need help gathering data, running analytics, and making the results available to our web applications. That’s where you come in.
About the job
Our stack lives on AWS and includes Docker, Postgres, Python, Java, and Ember.js. This job is for someone who wants to own and drive the operations of an exciting startup. You will be responsible for developing and managing complex systems that process large amounts of data every day.
We are a small team, and you should expect to work closely with both engineers and non-technical staff. We need someone who is self-directed and a great problem-solver, but also able to ask good questions and collaborate effectively with teammates.
* Are you comfortable working in a remote environment?
* Are you an expert at debugging?
* Are you passionate about delivering efficient, reliable, and testable code?
* Do you have strong experience with AWS?
* Are you keen to optimize performance and minimize latencies?
* Are you obsessed with data?
* Do you want to truly own the systems you work on?
If so, Gridium is the place for you.
Gridium is a growing, venture-backed SaaS software provider for buildings. Our products help commercial property owners manage all aspects of their buildings, from energy to work orders. We serve buildings of every shape and size, deploying a range of statistical and machine learning techniques to help develop energy efficiency strategies, streamline operations, and delight tenants.
Of course, spending time face-to-face is important, so once a quarter we pick a city and meet up for several days of highly productive and highly fun planning and doing (and eating and recreating). Past trips include Palm Springs, Breckenridge, Chicago, Austin, and more.
We have a casual work environment where everyone’s ideas and opinions matter. We are committed to work-life balance and offer everyone opportunities to learn, experiment, and grow. Since creative, enthusiastic employees are the basis for our success, we take great care and pride in how we attract, hire, and support our employees.
And of course
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Strong knowledge of AWS, especially EC2, networking (VPCs, etc.), and RDS.
- Strong experience with Python, both for development and automation.
- Interest in working on a wide variety of backend tasks, including both feature development and dev ops.
- Experience writing SQL and tuning relational database queries.
- Proficiency creating integrations with external APIs.
- Ability to design systems for observability and effective monitoring.
- Familiar with docker and docker-compose.
- You must currently live in, and have the legal right to work in, the United States. You must be available to travel for four days each quarter.
We are a distributed company, so all employees work remotely. Remote work allows us to find great people wherever they happen to be, and it allows you to structure your day flexibly and with minimal interruption so that you can get stuff done in the style that makes most sense for you.
The position comes with salary, stock options, 401(k) match, a great health plan, vision, dental, generous parental leave, and a flexible vacation policy — we want you to take the time off you need so that you are happy and productive.